Federal Financial Aid - FAFSA and also Iowa Financial Aid
The FAFSA Financial Aid Form should be completed in order for you to receive Federal Financial Aid, such as PELL Grants, Student Loans, Work Study.
- FSA ID Create the FSA ID at: Create FSA ID
The FSA ID is a username and password combination that serves as a student’s or parent’s identifier to allow access to personal information in various U.S. Department of Education systems and acts as a digital signature.. The FSA ID, which consists of a user-created username and password allows users to electronically access personal information on Federal Student Aid Web sites as well as electronically sign a FAFSA. You and your parent cannot share the same FSA ID. You must apply for an FSA ID and your parent must apply for an FSA ID. An FSA ID serves as part of a person’s identification, as well as their electronic signature, and should only be used by that individual.
2) FAFSA Financial Aid Form Website: FAFSA Website
The 2020-2021 FAFSA opens up online on October 1st. It is advised that you complete the FAFSA by end of December since most Colleges create their Financial Award letters/packages by March and inform students. There is no firm deadline to complete the FAFSA; however, if you file later than July of 2020, you may not receive some Financial Aid such as Work Study. Each school has their own priority deadline. To find your college's Financial Aid Priority Deadline, click here: College Priority Financial Aid deadliness.
- The University of Iowa and Iowa State University have a December 1 priority date. The University of Northern Iowa has a January 15 priority date.
- Since 2018 taxes are already complete, most of your students should be able to use the IRS Data Retrieval within the FAFSA, reducing the chance of verification.
- Here is a list of the documents and information you need to complete the FAFSA form.
- Your Social Security Number or Your Alien Registration Number (if you are not a U.S. citizen)
- Your federal income tax returns, W-2s, and other records of money earned. (Note: You may be able to transfer your federal tax return information into your FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.)
- Bank statements and records of investments (if applicable)
- Records of untaxed income (if applicable)
- An FSA ID to sign electronically.
- ICAN has nine locations: Ankeny, Cedar Rapids/Hiawatha, Coralville, Council Bluffs, Davenport, Des Moines, Orange City, Sioux City, and Waterloo.
- Don Bosco's area Rep is John Holland at the Waterloo office. 877-272-4692. UNI-CUE (800 Sycamore St)
- ICAN Student Success Advisors are highly trained in financial aid and FAFSA completion.
- A typical FAFSA appointment takes 30-45 minutes and is FREE.
- ICAN has extended hours to accomodate customer needs.
- FAFSA appointments include form completion, results analysis, cost of attendance review, and an overview of scholarships and the student loan process.
- You can schedule appointments with ICAN advisors online by visiting www.icansucceed.org/apt. Even with the extended financial aid season, appointments will fill up quickly. Have students/parents schedule early to ensure they can get their desired appointment. Call (877) 272-4692.
Don Bosco Parent Financial Aid Evening Presentation by ICAN (John Holland) will be Jan 6, 2020 at 5:30 at Don Bosco HS.
ICAN Hosts FAFSA Completion Sessions Click here for FAFSA Completion Session dates;
|East High School - Waterloo||Computer Lab||Waterloo||11/19/2019||4-6 pm|
|UNI Center for Urban Education||Main Entrance||Waterloo||1/7/2019||3-6:30 pm|
|Waterloo East High School||High School Computer Lab||Waterloo||11/22/2019||3-6:30 pm|
|Waterloo West High School||High School IMC||Waterloo||10/22/2019||3-6:30 pm|
|Hawkeye Comm College||Adult Learning Center||Waterloo||11/6/2019||3-6:30 pm|
|University of Northern Iowa||Cedar Falls High School||Cedar Falls||11/4/2019||3-7 pm|
|University of Northern Iowa||Cedar Falls High School||Cedar Falls||11/7/2019||3-7 pm|