Covid-19 Guidelines Update 9-28-20
September 28, 2020
Dear BCSS Families,
As we have continued to say, the guidance related to COVID changes often. This is the most recent guidance, dated September 16, 2020, that we have received in regards to reporting positive cases. NOTE that this guidance is DIFFERENT from what we sent out before.
The Iowa Department of Education and Iowa Department of Public Health jointly released guidance for schools and local public health agencies regarding public reporting of COVID-19 cases, instituting limitations in accordance with the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
The new guidance states:
- If schools choose (* please note that the choice to report anything is up to each school) to share case information further with the public, such as via public dashboards, they should make considerations to protect the confidentiality of students in the school setting:
- Release case counts only when there are 100 or more total students in the student population at a location
- Schools that have no cases can report zero cases
- Schools with counts of 6 or more cases can release specific case counts
- Schools with 5 or fewer cases should not provide a specific count, but can confirm there are cases within the school population
- No other demographic identifiers should be included in the school-level release
Given the size of our schools and that we are in three separate locations we will report specific case counts only in the event of 6 or more cases within a school building.
Why this choice? The size of our school and the limited ability to keep confidentiality.
PLEASE READ THIS NEXT PART VERY CAREFULLY
A positive case in a school DOES NOT MEAN that everyone was exposed. IF YOUR CHILD IS DEEMED A CLOSE CONTACT (close contact defined as within 6 feet for 15 minutes or more) YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED.
If you hear rumors or know for certain of a positive case but do not hear from the school, that means that in the school setting, your child was NOT EXPOSED.
Thank you for your support of our school. Please continue to pray for all those affected and an end to this virus. As always, please contact us with any questions at 319-296-1089 (Mrs. Douglas) 319-296-1692 (Mr. Redmond) or via email at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Yours in Christ,
Shelby Douglas and Casey Redmond