FAFSA - FInancial Aid Form and Iowa Financial Aid Form
The FAFSA Financial Aid Form should be completed in order for you to receive Federal Financial Aid, such as PELL Grants, Student Loans, Work Study.
- 1) Create FSA ID Weblink
The FSA ID is a username and password combination that serves as a student’s or parent’s identifier to allow access to personal information in various U.S. Department of Education systems and acts as a digital signature.. The FSA ID, which consists of a user-created username and password allows users to electronically access personal information on Federal Student Aid Web sites as well as electronically sign a FAFSA. You and your parent cannot share the same FSA ID. You must apply for an FSA ID and your parent must apply for an FSA ID. An FSA ID serves as part of a person’s identification, as well as their electronic signature, and should only be used by that individual.
The 2021-2022 FAFSA opens up online on October 1st. It is advised that you complete the FAFSA by end of December since most Colleges create their Financial Award letters/packages by March and inform students. There is no firm deadline to complete the FAFSA; however, if you file later than July of 2020, you may not receive some Financial Aid such as Work Study. Each school has their own priority deadline. To find your college's Financial Aid Priority Deadline, click here: College Priority Financial Aid deadliness.
- The University of Iowa and Iowa State University have a December 1 priority date. The University of Northern Iowa has a January 15 priority date.
- Since 2020 taxes are already complete, most of your students should be able to use the IRS Data Retrieval within the FAFSA, reducing the chance of verification.
- Here is a list of the documents and information you need to complete the FAFSA form.
- Your Social Security Number or Your Alien Registration Number (if you are not a U.S. citizen)
- Your federal income tax returns, W-2s, and other records of money earned. (Note: You may be able to transfer your federal tax return information into your FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.)
- Bank statements and records of investments (if applicable)
- Records of untaxed income (if applicable)
- An FSA ID to sign electronically.
3). Iowa Financial Aid Online Form Weblink Students should also do this form. It only has about 6 questions to answer. Students can apply for the following programs through the Iowa Financial Aid Application process:
* All Iowa Opportunity Scholarship (AIOS)
* Iowa National Guard Education Assistance Program (NGEAP)
* All Iowa Opportunity Foster Care Grant (FCG)
* Education Training Voucher (ETV)
* Robert C. Byrd Honors Scholarship
* Terry E. Branstad Iowa State Fair Scholarship
4). FAFSA Contacts, if questions
You can check the status of your FAFSA immediately after submitting it online. Here’s how:
- Option 1: Go to FAFSA login and log in.
- Option 2: Contact the Federal student aid information center